13 January 2012

First Impression: Ano Natsu de Matteru

Episodes: 12
Producers: J.C. Staff, Sentai Filmworks
Genres: Sci-fi, Comedy, Romance

When I saw the female protagonist has quite a huge rack in the poster, I have got to be honest, I was already judging this show. I don't usually do well with characters with big tits (Orihime Inoue is one fine example) so I have my reservation about this show as a whole. But I'm kinder when it comes to romance theme anime so I hope the romance will outshine any other flaws that I might find in Ano Natsu de Matteru (or Waiting in the Summer). And of course, there's the fact that this one is produced by J.C. Staff.

look at that character chart >_>

Well, I am ready throw my judgement out of the window after less than 2 minutes in. If nothing else, the animation and the art got me hooked right away and is it just me of Kaito looks like Jintan from Ano Hana with that shaggy hair and megane? Having said that, I wasn't very fond of the prospect that there's alien or extra terrestrial being in this show because I personally feels like that theme has been abused for far too much in anime to make it original and different. Hmm, there I go being judgmental once again >_>

Halfway through the episode it started to dawn on me that I might ended up raging about this show. Why? I can already see what is going to happen because apparently J.C. Staff decided to take the safe path and thus it's cliche as fuck.

And then there's that FRIENDZONE shit. For some reason I always ended up liking the other girl, the second heroin, which in this case, Kaito's childhood friend Kanna and for that reason I knew that she and Kaito could never happened simply because a red haired alien with big tits who saved Kaito when she landed on earth (if you asked me, it was totally her fault that he's "dead" so I don't see why Kaito would be attracted to her) decided to overstay her visit and enroll at the same school as theirs.

IF and that's a big if, that Ichika decided to go back to wherever she comes from and Kanna ended up together with Kaito because he either (a) feel sorry for her (b) has no other choice, I would rage my ass off. If the production decided to do something unexpected like that, they better develop the story that is not only convincing but unique as well. I don't want another repeat of True Tears.

I've introduced some of the characters but there are few more in my opinion that are far more interesting than the two protagonists. For example, the ladies man Tetsurou, the perverted Mio and Lemon (that name I think is self-explanatory). I found myself rather interested with (and if) there are other romance budding besides that of Kaito and Ichika. It would be less cliche, definitely.

Like I said earlier, the art for Ano Natsu de Matteru is definitely the strongest selling point for this show. I was amazed by the clouds and the level of details that went into production. J.C. Staff definitely didn't disappoint it fans in term of the quality of the overall animation. I am too lazy to check but is this the only production for J.C. Staff this Winter?

look at that cloud ^_^

I hope more thoughts will be given to the story and romance. I want them focusing on the development of the romance/story as well so that it won't come out too cliche. Cliche just doesn't do very well with me. It tend to make me rage. If it does, then I might just drop this without further notice.

I mean, I was already pissed off when I saw Ichika kissing Kaito in order to save him. THIS IS NOT DISNEY!

Oh boy... I'm in for a rough ride.

art & animation 9/10
story 6/10
characters 8/10
sound 8/10
enjoyment 7/10
overall 7.6/10

6 comments:

JC Staff is good I like them.

But this one is stink with cliche shit. I don't like them

I can't believe it. Ano Natsu de Matteru actually reminds me of Anohana
The feel, the atmosphere just felt so similar
Then I checked MAL, and AH, it's the same director =O

Ano Hana grabbed me on the get go. This one started good until suddenly Kaito was dead and was saved. Everything went downhill after that. The face-in-mah-boobs pretty much the stroke that broke the camel's back.

Still I want to see how this one turns out.

The thing that's weird to me is that the writer, Yousuke Kuroda, was the writer for Please Teacher, which was about a sickly high school boy, who falls in love with an older woman (his teacher), who turns out to be an alien. I guess you could say that this is substantially different in that the girl isn't a teacher, she is just his sempai ... but isn't this scenario basically the same?

That's what I heard too which greatly disappoint me if I ever was a fan of Onegai Teacher. It just goes to show that the writer is just too lazy to think of something new and take us anime fan for granted. That's unforgivable.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...