12 January 2012

First Impression: Daily Lives of High School Boys

Episodes: 12
Producers: Sunrise, Square Enix
Genres: Comedy, School, Slice of Life, Shounen

Besides Another, Daily Lives of High School Boys or Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou is the other Winter season anime that I have high hopes for for the simple reason that Tomokazu Sugita is cast for one of it's main protagonist. I am a big fan of him and he is the reason why I become a seiyuu fag so naturally I will watch anything that has him as one of the casts, no matter how small his role may be. The only recent show that he did/do is SKET Dance which he played the big role of making it such an enjoyable show for me.

So needless to say, I am super stoke to check this show out. I have a feeling that Sugita will be just as awesome as he usually is sprouting random shits that only his character can think of. Aight boys, without further ado, lets dig in =3

(c) Asuda

Less than a minute in, I knew I was right about this show; boys who ran holding bowl of soup on the way to school and met with robots flying down from the sky attacking their town. If that is not random, I don't know what is. Why? Because this is not a mecha anime. This show is categorized in slice of life genre and in our real life, there are no giants robot invading the earth. And random is always good in my book. Plus this show is directed by the same guy who did Gintama. If you didn't know how I feel about Gintama yet, you are retarded.

Danshiko (that's what this show is called in anime fandom) is a tale of three boys; Tadakuni, Hidenori Tabata and Yoshitake Tanaka who are friends and attending the same highschool. Just like Kimi to Boku, they have the serious boy and the other two who will do anything in their ability to annoy the living hell of the serious boy, in this case Tadakuni. But it wasn't always about that. We are going to witness their daily lives routines and the people they acquainted and interact with as well which added to the fun.

There are several segments in one episode that cover different topic which tickled my funny bones. I personally laughed my ass off during the skirt segments. I knew boys who actually did that, especially when there was a gullible boy around. Tadakuni fits that description to a T. These segments are even funnier because almost each of it was triggered or initiated by Hidenori. The segment of Hidenori and literary girl at the river bank was awesome too. It's quite a turning point for me personally to be honest because I realized that I found a replacement for Kyon and he even wears a megane. A crossover of Kyon and Gintoki is just the perfect man, if you know what I mean.

Some people might questioned that this is not what boys normally do in their daily lives, but I assured you that for someone who grew up around boys and is still surrounded by boys in daily life, boys really did do all these meaningless stuffs and talk about useless stuffs. That is what make them so fun to be around. Girls on the other hands are boring. They pretty much talked about cute boys and the latest fashion and being bitchy about everything. What's fun about that? For example when Yoshitake voiced his concern about the hair on his nipples, isn't that real as fuck?

what I said

Needless to say, I will probably force this one down everyone's throat. So beware. I'm maximizing my virgin power for the sake of Danshiko!

art & animation 6/10
story 10/10
characters 10/10
sound 10/10
enjoyment 10/10
overall 9.2/10

p/s: I am glad that I didn't check out the pre-air show for Danshiko ^_^

8 comments:

I don't think you'll have to force this one on too many people who enjoyed the likes of Cromartie or Sunred. I haven't laughed at an anime comedy so much since.. well, Sunred.

The memories I still have of my "boyhood" are things just like this (obviously dialed back and not comedic). And I was a dull kid. So I wonder what people are on about if they say real boys didn't act like this. Since when? Have times changed THAT much?

The only comedy who can make me laugh this much is of course Gintama so if you do the math, it shouldn't count because the director is the same and even Sugita is in it. But hey I'm not complaining.

Hogart, you forget that nowadays, most boys have their own Xbox or whatever games console they are playing with. There are little interaction except during school or extra curriculum activities. Just look at the anime fandom, many of the bloggers are actually still kids, either in high school or in college and from twitter, it pretty much showed that they don't actually socialized with real persons. They rather spend the time with the humans at the other side of the world via skype.

But they could be a minority *shrugs*

Anyone who likes Gintama is retarded by definition. Yes, that means YOU.

and I'm strangely extremely happy about it ^____^

"...boys who ran holding bowl of soup on the way to school and met with robots flying down from the sky attacking their town"

Between this and the breaking of the 4th wall screenshot, I may have to check this out, even though there seems to be too many male characters.

GLO, GO WATCH THIS NOW!

I just watched this last night with my wife and I don't think I laughed so hard in a while. I am really looking forward to watching more episodes :)

The fact that the show is taking itself seriously despite the humor is what in my opinion makes this show such a convincing comedy. It's something that each of us has experienced growing up. People aren't getting offended which mean they are doing the jokes right.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...