11 October 2010

First Impression: Star Driver


When I see the title of the first episode, I couldn't help but chuckled. How am I to take this show seriously when you named an episode Galactic Pretty Boy.

Star Driver started with Wako, seemingly the female protagonist, saving Takuto who almost drowned. Wako is the "south maiden" on the island, although in all honesty she doesn't look anything like it. She is supposed to married Shindo, the rich kid ins school. He might look serious and demure but I believe he's just a pervert otherwise his maids won't be wearing animal ears when serving him.

The reason Takuto ends up on the island is to find his dad. Although Shindou and Wako is supposed to be joined hands in marriage, Shindou believe that he should be able to choose who he wants to fall in love with and Wako seems interested in Takuto. Love triangle in the making?

But this is all subplot to what's really going on. Apparently there are shits going on underneath the island. All these dudes and duddettes wearing outrageous silly costumes and masks. Even with that stupid get up I know who exactly are they. They kidnapped the maiden (since there are 4 of them) and stole their seals to fire up their mecha. Their next target is Wako and since Takuto was somehow around, he will not just stand and watch. Turned out he's the Galactic Pretty Boy! ZOMG I couldn't stop laughing. I'm sorry but this is just too hilarious. It is just way too fucked up to be taken seriously. Jeebus...

In all honesty, I think there are too much going on for an introductory episode. I kinda at lost with the amount of information that I need to digest so I can understand what the hell is really going on. They should just stick with the love triangle plot, imo. This has starting to feel like Tengen Toppan Gurren Lagann. Takuto definitely resembles Kamina with his extravagant attitude. As if that wasn't enough, at the end of the episode, after the ED, we are served with Ultraman preview. LOLWUT? *chuckles*

When he transformed, he kinda looks like that protagonist dude from Flag.

All the male characters look to be suffering from malnutrition. They are all skinny. They also have these weird, yet cool, looking hairdo. If i need to pick their best traits, I would definitely gonna say the hair. I wasn't really crazy about the character designs, and the overall look of the anime, especially with that ridiculous bad guys outfit but they make it up with awesome fighting sequences and over the top mecha shiznit. Credits to Bones and Aniplex. They tried really hard.

I noticed Sugata Shindou seiyuu right away. Jun Fukuyama is definitely growing on me. I am also delighted when I heard Mamoru Miyano vocalizing Takuto Tsunashi. I was even more surprised when Head appeared and is voiced by Akira Ishida. Three of my top ten seiyuus in one show? Awesome. These three seiyuus have distinct personality in their voice and it fits perfectly with the kind of character they are playing. Sorry, I don't pay attention to the other characters though ^^"

I like the OP, both the song and the video. It definitely cheer me up somehow. LOL it obviously will since the OP is by Aqua Timez, one of my favorite Japanese bands of all time. Then the fish girl started singing to entertain Head and I think it was beautiful. I feel the same way with the ED too.

I guess I did enjoy this episode despite the all the fucked up shit. With this one, it will either be a hit or a miss with everyone. So far this turned out quite decent for my entertainment. I'm gonna check out episode 2 just to see how the romance progressing.

If you like TTGL the fucked up version, this one is for you :P

art & animation 8/10
story 5/10
character 6/10
sound 7/10
enjoyment 7/10
overall 7/10

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...