10 October 2010

First Impression: Shinryaku! Ika Musume


Shinryaku! Ika Musume is pretty straight forward with the title. The story is supposed to be just that: a squid girl invading the land and punish the humans for polluting the sea. It was a noble idea but obviously her plan will see a few hitches. She started the invasion at a small restaurant at the sea side but as expected no one takes her seriously. Somehow, instead of invading, she was being recruited as one of the workers there.

Ika Musume has 10 tentacles. They are the pride of her power since they can do many things and move any where she desired which of course is a very useful power to have as a waiter. It was because of her tentacles too that she managed to recruit a subordinate, a young boy who gets fascinated by the tentacles to the point of masochist.

I must be getting soft but I found Takeru and Ika Musume extremely cute when he tried to emulate the squid. The scene was kinda necessary I think to show us that Ika Musume is nothing but a simpleton creature living in the sea. She even help selling squid-ink spaghetti to their customers.


Hmm, I have basically describe Ika Musume as a character there. Next is Eiko, the second sister from that LEMON restaurant. She kinda forgettable. Chizuru on the other hand is awesome. She's the big sister and despite her gentle manner, she's a fucking bad ass. She only opens her eyes when she wants to threatens people. Last but not least is Takeru, the younger brother who I mentioned as a masochist before. The characters line-up aren't incredible but they'll probably make this work somehow.

At first I thought the OP has the potential to give me headache. I also thought I will probably end up disliking Ika-Musume because of her voice. But then I change my opinion after the first few minute. Hisako Kanemoto does a great job with the slang and it wasn't too sugary and sweet. But I still don't like the OP though. As for the ED, nothing spectacular, a boring ballad that kinda fits perfectly with the show. I also paid way too much attention to the sound the tentacles made when they are being used, squishy squishy squishy ^_^"

This is the first time I have heard of Diomedea studio. I think they did a good job with the overall art and animation for this anime. Ika Musume in particular reminds me of Nagi from Kannagi. Maybe it's because of the hair color.

So did I enjoy the episode? Well somehow I did but this one is forgettable. Nothing really stands out. I found it is regrettable that they kinda forgot about the environmental awareness towards the end. It only last like the first minute of the anime? They should take the matter more seriously, imo.

art & animation 7/10
story 6/10
character 6/10
sound 5/10
enjoyment 7/10
overall 6/10

4 comments:

I remember reading the manga for this a while ago. I thought Ika Musume is really cute at the time. Kind of a shame that the anime seems to be just average.

Adaptation: MISSION PHAILED

Ika Musume basic stroy is bit similar with Keroro Gunso. Only this replace that frog with moe-fied Squid. Nothing really impressive at first watch. Because of this, I put this title on hold list.

Now that you mention it, it is similar to Keroro Gunso which I happened to love. Unfortunately, after 2 episodes, I find this show rather dull than full of funneh >>

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...