11 October 2010

First Impression: Otome Youkai Zakuro

(c) mao

Otome Youkai Zakuro is about romance between the fox spirit girls and the army guys who was sent to work with them at the Ministry of Spirit Affairs. Heh but it doesn't as easy and romantic as it sounds. And the story is not all about them finding romance, they have to fight youkai monsters as well as trying to bridge the gap between human and youkai.

First of all, there is Zakuro who is actually the female who leads the house of the spirits. She's very stubborn and does not want to help the human. Then there's Agemaki who looks charming and capable but is totally useless when dealing with youkai. However Zakuro is still a girl so obviously she will fall for Agemaki's charm until she found out the truth. But yeah, it was kinda funny every time Agemaki has to face Zakuro or the Youkai. I love the chemistry between these two. In fact I love the chemistry between Hotaru and Riken too. They are like the shy couple that you can help but root for. Then there are the twin Bonbori and Hoozuki who have taken a liking with their short partner who is imo the most annoying character in the show, Ganryuu. Lucky bastard.


The overall art and animation is very pretty. Compared to Bakuman, it looks like this one is the golden project for JC Staff. It is definitely up to their standard at least. I love the colors in it. They are so vibrant and lively. The character designs can be a little unique I guess but I'm not complaining. They were not paying too much attention to the side/background characters too. They are average at best. Oh well, Agemaki does looks like a bishie and the fox girls all have their own charming character traits.

At first I though the OP is hauntingly beautiful. It is, imo, so uniquely Japanese so I can't help but like it a lot. But then they really got into the real OP and my hope crushed. It was very bouncy and dancy, kinda like DRR song. Later did I found out that the first song I heard was actually Hotaru, Hoozuki and Bonbori singing when Zakuro fights. The ED on the other hand is too girly for my taste but it isn't bad at all if you are into girly songs. Sorry to say that the voices of the characters do not sound familiar to me at all which mean I dunno who they are. Having said that, they did a good job with the characters and represent them well.

This show is directed by Chiaki Kon. He kinda has that versatility I guess, although I really don't like Junjou Romantica. I think that was his worst achievements ever. But he did well with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko. So far this show is definitely on my watch list. He must have done something right otherwise I won't even be bothered with something like this .

So needless to say I enjoy this one a lot. I'll definitely keep my eyes on this show. Sometimes, I am just a hopeless romantic :P

art and animation 8/10
story 8/10
character 8/10
sound 7/10
enjoyment 9/10
overall 8.5/10

10 comments:

To tell the truth, for me, this anime was disillusion. I even had problem finish watching of first episode. I almost dropped it in middle.

This anime is so much girly, that I can't handle it.

DDR is awesome.

I was impressed. The show was fun. The artwork was great. Characters are adorable. I don't think this will be an important show, but caramel corn is good sometimes, too.

It is understandable Vojka. I really do think that the targeted audience are for girls or men who are not afraid to embrace their feminine sensitive side. LOL

Glo, I never played DDR. I never played games ever :(

One of the reason I found this so enjoyable because I know I must not take it seriously. It was fantasy-like shoujo after all, with cuteness all around.

I agree that this was gorgeous, cute, spooky and funny - what more can you want, eh?!

Oh, and Hotaru and Riken are seeeriouely adorable too. In short: me like. Lots.

it's not that spooky. The monsters are not giving me nightmare (like those in Ghost Hound *shudders*) but yeah I like how adorable this show is, even the pairing kinda makes me go awwwwwwwww =3

I absolutely love the animation, but I find the guys especially Agemaki to be completely useless. I mean if you can't even fight what were you doing in the military? But that's just my personal opinion.

I think he has done well in the army so far until he was assigned to work with the youkai ladies otherwise he won't be holding the rank that he has now. He just has extreme fears for the youkai. I kinda understand since I'm absolutely phobic when it comes to maggots.

Agemaki, imo, will be the most developed character in this show.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...