02 July 2010

First Impression: Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi


Ookami-san officially starts the new season for the summer 2010. The first minute and a half made me feels like I was watching a mashed up of To Aru Majutsu no Index and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun.

I mean the set up is in yet another academy: Otogi Academy and the lead female, flat Ookami Ryouko and her sidekick, Akai Ringo are part of a school club known as Otogi Bank which kinda act like Judgement in To Aru premises. Otogi bank accepted request from the student and the payment is they have to help them back in exchange. In what form? It is yet to be revealed.

Obviously there are other members in the club:

  • Liszt, the president who wears a bartender uniform. Looks like he’s trying to be Shizuo. Phailed
  • Alice, the president’s cousin who acts politically correct at all time
  • Tsurugaya Otsuu, the maid. WE HAVE TO HAVE A MAID IN EVERY HAREM. A MAID WITH BIG BOOBS AND TOTALLY STUPID! Errr... moving on
  • Urashima, the only other male member of the group who constantly being raped by
  • Otohime, a rapist.
  • Majo, a mad scientist. Huh?
Ookami reminded me of Misaka (and a little bit of Shana) and Ringo of the loli teacher, Komoe. Anyone else felt the same way? Even Ookami is flat chest and takes offense every time people mention it. I dunno why she would be offended though. Being flat chest is awesome.

Ookami has a stalker and her stalker is our pussy male lead, Morino Ryoushi. I like the name. It reminded me of Chelsea’s ex manager. Heh. Anyway, he confessed to Ookami about his feelings and git rejected right away. He was desperate though so before he knew it he’s the new recruit for the Otogi Bank.

With Morino appearance, we know now that Ookami is such a tsundere and I really don’t like where this show is going. It was too apparent from the get go.

Not to mention that the narrator sounds so much like Kuroko. It annoys the fucking hell out of me.

The only time I enjoyed this episode was when a supporting character kicked her beloved twice in the face and found true happiness because of it. That was made of win.


J.C Staff has done it again with the animation. It was the only good thing so far for me. It was fluent and familiar. The story is unoriginal and the characters are recycled material. The seiyuus were OK I guess but Satomi as narrator? Fuck I can't stand her voice. And the OP (does it even have one? I couldn't remember) and ED were so blah, I couldn't remember a thing about them.

I is yet to see whether or not I will continue watching this show. The probability is very low.

arts & animation 8/10
story 5/10
character 6/10
sound 6/10
enjoyment 5/10
overall 6/10

4 comments:

I'm debating if I should watch this. It feels similar to Railgun and Index, both of which I love. But I don't know...

Give it a shot Yi. Who knows, right?

And many is comparing Ookami to the female lead in Toradora and since I haven't seen Toradora, I assumed they are right.

But wait, Kuroko's voice is glorious! That's a reason to go for it already.
More like, character templates only extend so far, so you're bound to see the same tropes over and over again in anime. These characters seem creative enough. I'm still actually contemplating skipping this though, because that Toradora tsundere business drives me insane.

well, Working!! is a perfect example on how to create a character. All it needs is a unique trait.

Each to his/her own I guess. I couldn't stand Kuroko because of her voice. It sounded way too old for her age.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...