16 January 2012

First Impression: Mouretsu Pirates

Episodes: 26
Producers: Satelight, Starchild Records, Sentai Filmworks
Genres: Sci-fi

Mouretsu Pirates is one of the animes that I know won't sit well with me, based on the preview. As usual, I am watching this just to see if I am right about it. I've heard bits and pieces of this show on Twitter but since I tuned out most of it because of the spoilers, I have no idea what to expect.

(c) Matsumoto Noriyuki

This show evolves around Marika Katou. She is the daughter of the infamous space pirate who led the Bentenmaru. She has no idea about it though until she was visited by her mom's friends and was told that she inherited the space pirate ship since according to the law, only the direct descendant can take over. As expected Marika was skeptical but she can't run from her fate, can she?

Her school is taken over and looks like they are recruiting her friends to be pirates as well. On top of that, the new transfer student looks like she knows more about what's going on than Marika. I have no idea what her role in this show is yet but she's clearly a tsundere.

The art and animation aren't something that will guarantee you to watch this show. In fact I think they are below average. The set up supposedly to be in different planet in different universe but they used kanji to write any legal documents and they were too lazy to think to depict the setting that they wanted to achieve for this show. It ends up like they are on earth in year 3050. It's not convincing at all. Same goes for the character designs. I found them not attractive at all.

The OP and ED greatly compliment the show as in, it annoys the fuck out of me. It has some pretty colorful cast of seiyuu at it's disposal unfortunately they are just average at best and didn't actually bring anything special to their character to remember them by.

Mouretsu Pirates is a 26 episodes show. I don't know why it needs that many episodes because I can't see how they can develop the story to be interesting. Though the first episode wasn't bad, it didn't bring anything to the table. I just pretty much sat on my chair and watched it from start to finish without any kind of excitement. It's was monotonous and it's the second worse kind of feeling for an anime fan to have. The first one is of course raging.

Mouretsu Pirates is as average as anime can get, not even that to be honest but if you don't mind spending time watching average anime, go ahead since it wasn't bad. It's definitely wasn't good either.

art & animation 5/10
story 5/10
characters 5/10
sound 5/10
enjoyment 5/10
overall 5/10

7 comments:

Well, I didn't think it was that bad. Comparing the first episodes of Pirates, Aquarion:Evo, and SymphoGear, which are all supposed to be futuristic settings, I thought Piarates was the only one that really pulled it off. Aquarion:Evo looked just like Earth today with giant magical robots added to it (and no other changes, in fact they were still using actual FILM to show movies??), and SymphoGear was just like Earth of today with magical girls fighting spirit beings added.

Now I have only watched 1 episode of each, but based on that, Pirates had the most believable Sci-Fi setting of the three.

Shoot, I forgot to mention Rinne no Lagrange. Again, it looks just like present day with giant robots (and a lot of fan service) added.

If Mouretsu Pirates is the best sci-fi for this season, I am worry about the future of anime with sci-fi genres. If this is the best they can come up with then clearly they are lacking in research.

This anime is in my list to watch but since my PC was formatted I need to download back the first episode. It's seem kind good pirate and sci-fi anime eh?

It was average for me though.

"The OP and ED greatly compliment the show as in, it annoys the fuck out of me."

Word.

You're right, it feels like it's on Earth - why bother setting it in outer space?! Why not just set the story on Earth?

I was expecting Bodacious Space Pirates to be BODACIOUS and like a Last Exile or Gundam AGE but even MORE BODACIOUS, but all I got were Mini Skirt Pirates. :(

P.S. though on that note, the art is nicer than many other shows. Definitely above average art.

If it has setup that totally BODACIOUS, i would probably still watching it even though I have no love for it after watching the first episode. But no, they were too lazy to live up to the title and that's entirely their fault as to why they lost a fan.

Since I just watched the first episode, maybe I was wrong about the art. Is the story gets better though, is what I am interested to know.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...