29 September 2011

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai (OVA)

This here I am watching is an OVA for the upcoming TV series that will be released anytime soon. To be honest I was completely confused for the first two minutes of this episode. I thought this show's alternate title in English is "I Don't Have Many Friends" but in this one, it repeatedly shows us statement of "I Have Many Friends" with some spaceship UFO as the background picture. On top of that, they showed us snippets of Kodaka with his harem of not less than 5 girls who are desperate for his attention.

(c) Buriki

Isn't this the opposite of what this show is supposed to be? And to be honest, I am a little bit pissed off feeling that I have been cheated. I don't appreciate the harem as well even though one of them girls has heterochromia. I don't like it even more when only 2 girls are of his age while the others, including the heterochromia, are lolis.

Oh shit this is turning out to be a disaster for me. I don't think I can take it anymore!

Thankfully the first half of the episode was only Kodaka's dream. His perverted thoughts were interrupted with a taser gun. Turned out he and the others were having (poisonous) hot pot in a very questionable dark room. The two girls from his dreams who were all chummy and what not are Yozora and Sena. In real life, they are literally like cat and dog and will compete with each other about anything and everything.

The other characters are Maria, the heterochromia girl, Kobato (Index -you'll get what I mean if you saw her and have watched To Aru Majutsu no Index), Yukimura (Misaka - again, referring to To Aru Kagaku no Railgun) and Rika, the lab girl. If I have to pick one girl to root for, then it has to be Yozora just because I'm a sucker for character like her.

(c) Itachi-san314

The characters are pretty much the archetype characters. There aren't any surprise with their personality which already make this show feels so boring. It doesn't bring anything new and exciting to the table. They thought the story of few people having no friends and socially awkward creating a Neighbors Club for themselves is made of win. Well, I beg to differ. But then again, this is only the OVA. Hopefully with the TV show, they will be as promising as the manga and make it a bit more entertaining and interesting for us.

For an OVA with airing time of 11 minutes, it was a disappointment for me. The first half was full of fanservice while the other half was pretty much a lost cause. If they think this OVA will make people want to watch the TV show, then I think AIC Build has failed miserably.

art & animation 6/10
story 4/10
characters 6/10
sound 5/10
enjoyment 4/10
overall 5/10

6 comments:

Have you read the manga?

This really bothered me, but I hate Harem RomComs with a passion. This looks like the absolute worst kind: the loser guy somehow surrounds himself with beautiful females, each an archetype of some sort, then he complains.

No, Glo I haven't but I have seen your review and perhaps the only reason why I even want to try out and see this show, because I trust you. And yes I know the OVA is pretty much that same spread you posted up in your ISSS though fanservice in manga is something that I can tolerate but when it's the anime... not so much. Like I said, I am still going to see the TV show or do you suggest I should just read the manga instead?

@abandonedfactory, Kodaka has all the reasons to be hated. If at the end he picks Sena over Yozora, I AM GOING TO FLIP!

I watched the OVA....had WAY more fanservice than in the manga. (although maybe I'm misremembering the early chapters of the manga).

God the Red Sox suck.

I'm not so sure this manga adaptation looks good. The manga just got kinda interesting plot-wise in a way that makes me happy. There might be a slight harem developing ever since the whore-scientist entered the scene. She's funny though.

Fucking John Lackey is a piece of shit.

I plan on catching up in the manga completely sometime this week because it's FUCKING AWESOME.

I can't believe the Red Sox blew this season fucking suck.

Where'd my last comment go? Well, here's the short version:

Anime OVA <<<< Manga

Manga just got interesting plot wise sort of barely enough for me to get excited.

Not fanservice in manga - Don't know what the deal with the OVA was.

Show slight harem, not really. Becoming one now that the whore/scientist has become a character. She's awesome though.

The Red Sox suck I hate john lackey.

Your first comment ended up in SPAM boxed. I've taken care of that. Sorry.

Manga most often than not trumps the anime adaptation and perhaps instead of spending time raging watching the half-ass effort of the production/animation team, I should just read the manga instead.

I don't watch baseball. It's not a sport that many Malaysian can relate to. However, if I did watch the sport, maybe I hate John Lackey too

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...