08 July 2011

First Impression: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée

Ikoku Meiro no Croisée is a seinen adaptation of the original which is a good thing for me since I like seinen. I like josei even more but still I like it. I used to read seinen manga all the time until I quit reading manga last year.


The story took place in the 19th Century France. Yune is our female protagonist. I think she's 10 years old. She is in France for some reason following some hairy white ape back. That hairy white ape has a grandson name Claude (I thought his name is Oscar?) who owns a blacksmith store. I don't know what the rest of the story is but I guess it's about Claude and Yune trying to get use to each other. Yune does seems out of place and Claude has to get use to the Japanese culture that she brings with her. He's not very welcoming but soon that will change. This is also a story of Claude trying to bring back the glory of his store which has run for three generations.

It's funny that Claude and everyone else are supposedly converse in French and Yune is the only one who can speak and understand Japanese. And yet this show is done in Japanese with English sub. The irony.

And wait... I just learned that the hairy white ape is Oscar *facepalm*

This is the first first impression post I am doing for anime from Satelight. Considering that my eyes don't bleed at how bad the arts and animation is, I think they did a decent job. It should be since they aren't really inexperience. They did Basquash and Fairy Tail and even collaborate with Madhouse for Hellsing Ultimate. I am not sure what is wrong, whether I'm being too critical or the characters do indeed seem a tad different from the original. They are cute enough but I keep imagining Enma Ai in Yune shoes, and Ren as Claude, at how much more awesome the anime would be with design character like them. I can't say that I didn't love the kimono Yune is wearing though. Japan indeed has one of the best cultures and heritages in the world.

Having said that, this show is kinda too predictable for my liking. I will give it another episode or two and see if it picks up the pace otherwise, this could end up in the on-hold list for who knows how long. I have at least 75 shows in that list.

is it bad if I want this to happen already?
(c) hibiki bagawa

Jeebus, I am getting worst by the day, aren't I?

art and animation 6
story 6
characters 7
sound 6
enjoyment 6
overall 6/10

3 comments:

For a slightly different take on the underlying story, check out "Heroes of the East". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080172/

I prefer to think of it, not as OLD, but as ETERNAL.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...