01 February 2011

First Impression: Houkago no Pleiades

I was wondering about this show since it came out pretty late compared to the other Winter shows. The reason why I am looking forward for this one simply because of the collaboration with Subaru. And of course, this one is produced by Gainax. After what they came up last season, despite myself, I want to see what else they can offer us fans. More shitty goodness? I hope so.

You expected greatness, yes?

First of all, this show is not a TV show. It is an ONA. The length of the episode is roughly around 6 minutes or so. Basically I have no reason NOT to watch this one except that from the poster it doesn't really the type of anime I normally watch. So I'm going to give it a benefit of a doubt. Let's begin.

It's hard to conjure up opinions just based on the 6 minute episode without being biased but who cares anyway, right? So Subaru is pretty happy I guess and it must be one of the reasons why they signed up with Gainax: the protagonist, seemingly a blockhead who likes stars, is named Subaru. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Instead, you got this >>

The story for the first and second episode goes like this: Subaru wants to go to the reservation deck at her school but ended up in a place that's definitely NOT the school with butterflies, lush green gardens and a seemingly sick boy named Minato. He's the bad guy but he's endearing soI don't mind at all. Then there's the witch club or something that consists of 4 other girls, One of them is Minato's friend Aoi. The president of the club is a flubber and he (apparent he's a male, how they can tell I don't know for sure. I see tentacles but no dick) has chosen Minato to be the latest member of the club because he sensed lots of power in her. They rode in highly advance broom with engine and gathered the stars, or they called it engine shards (again, WTF?) so the president can go back to his planet. As you can probably tell by now, the story is not the best out there. It was pretty weak sauce but it's only 6 minutes per episode so I think I can tolerate this much.

I wish they make up for the lack of good story with exceptional characters. Unfortunately, they did not so it kinda frustrating because we all know that Gainax can come up with such character after Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

I don't feel like the art and animation are consistent with this show. I noticed some things that makes me goes "that looks good" or "the animation is very slick" but it weren't often enough. During the dull moments of the show, the animation was average. So was the character designs. They all looked boring and the outfits were stupid. I guess they are targeting the younger audience for this one which makes me wonder, why the hell is Subaru involved then? O_o

I don't think there's an OP or ED, only BGM which was pretty common for this type of show. But I see that there are several artists involved for the theme song performance. That makes me wonder whether I was not paying attention or it will be around for the upcoming episodes. I didn't bother to watch it again because that would be a waste of time. Nothing stands out about the seiyuu but that's because there's no male seiyuu and I didn't give a shit about the female seiyuus. They all sounded the same to me.

I'm not sure how many episodes there will be. I can't say that I look forward to see the rest of the episodes but I'm not going to abandon this show either because I want to see what Subaru will bring to the table instead of just giving Gainax the permission to use their name for the main character. This show is lacking in so many areas and I don't think it will improve anytime soon since they have set up everything to be so.

I am not going to recommend this to anyone. It's not bad. It's not good either.

Arts & animation 6/10
Story 5/10
Character 5/10
Sound 5/10
Enjoyment 5/10
Overall 5/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...