09 January 2011

First Impression: Gosick

The OP of Gosick definitely got me excited. Looking at the characters designs, I was impressed and immediately like the male protagonist. This opinion, of course, will change immediately as well if he turns out to be a wuzz. I predict the goth girl to be a typical tsundere. Just throwing the idea out there.


The start of the episode shows some old whacked job lady sprouting some prophecy nonsense about a boy who will cause the end of the world. To stop this, she told the villagers to sacrifice 11 hares. So it was a pretty bloody and gore start for Gosick. I'm not complaining. This just might be my cup of tea.

That's two good points in a row.

(c) takeda hinata

Kujo Kazuya is the male protagonist that I referred to earlier. Everyone at school avoided him and called him a "dark reaper" for some reason. Apparently he's not from Saobure but was sent there to further his study. Guess what? I changed my mind because he did turn out to be a fucking wuzz. Damn it for false hope. I was right about the Victorique (that's the name of the goth girl) too.

They met in some sort of arboretum where they also met Grevil de Blois. A fitting name for a guy who has a giga drill breaker for a quiff. I almost forgot that this is the parody for Sherlock Holmes. It's hard to take this seriously with sidekick like Kujo, police officer like Grevil and an over-zealous teacher with megane as big as her boobs. Besides, when Grevil told the story of the murder, even I can conclude that the maid was the murderer even before Victorique told him so since the old lady obviously died from a gun shot to her left eye. Jeebus.

Thankfully the gore stuffs are pretty gore. I like that part a lot.

So... basically Kujo is boring, not meant to be a leader type of guy. He could used the lift but instead opt to climb thousand staircases instead. I called that dumb. Victorique is smart (duh) but totally unsociable and Grevil got all the credits from her hardwork of solving cases, not that she mind but Kujo won't let it slide and took it upon himself to interfere with her life. I guess she was thankful for that since thanks to him, she got to experience the outside world now. And thus the trio were created and the story started.

Aoi Yuuki is definitely suited for Victorique role. She has done many similar characters before: Mina Tepes, Murasaki Kuhouin, Korone and Noel Kannagi to name a few (I was surprised to find out that she did Shinra). As for the other seiyuu, I'm not really familiar with any of them. That's another word for me to say that they are forgettable.

The ED is kinda dark and mysterious to match the theme of the show. After a few minutes, I realized that I can't remember how it sounds like. Same with the OP though I do remember the MV so it wasn't so bad I guess, just forgettable, like the seiyuus. LOL

My verdict for the first impressions is this: it was average at best. There's nothing really stands out about the characters, animation, story and sound. Having said that, if you want an anime to watch, this is a trillion times better than Rio: Rainbow Gate! I might watch this or might dropped it after few episodes. We'll see.

art & animation 6/10
story 6/10
characters 5/10
sound 5/10
enjoyment 6/10
overall 6/10

5 comments:

ROTFLMAO Better than Rio?

Anything is better than Rio.

"The start of the episode shows some old whacked job lady sprouting some prophecy nonsense about a boy who will cause the end of the world. To stop this, she told the villagers to sacrifice 11 hares. So it was a pretty bloody and gore start for Gosick. I'm not complaining. This just might be my cup of tea."

Really? D:
Maybe it was the subs I got, but I thought the script in the opening was terrible. The dramatic events unfolding paired with such ingenious lines as "Prepare a large box and have it float on the surface of the water..." was just too ridiculous for me.

I'll agree that the show is pretty average, though. The characters are ordinary, even if their hairstyles attempt to show otherwise, the story is decent, and the mystery is elementary, my dear... yeah.

I think the main question is...would I like this? How much gore are we talking?

obviously I came up with my own subs to make it interesting. LOL
This show is as disappointing and dull and average as I thought it would be. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

Glo, like 0.5 percent.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...