24 October 2010

First Impression: Kuragehime


I can tell from the synopsis and promotional poster that Kuragehime will be different. I like different. They usually promised new experiences. Let see how this show will turn out for me.

This show focuses on Tsukimi, a rather average looking girl who is fascinated by jellyfish. She dreams to be a princess but just from outlook appearance you know she doesn't have it, what's with her bushy eyebrows, freckled face, big megane, ugly sweater and hideous ponytail. This dream was actually stem from earlier on during her childhood when her mom told her about jellyfish's tentacles that looks like a lace from a princess gown. Whatever right?

I must not be paying attention much about the places in Japan. I know that Kyoto is the historical site while Akihabara is the haven for otaku but other than that, I absolutely have no idea what they represents. I learned from this episode that Shibuya is actually kinda like where upper class society is. Or at least that they have better sense in fashion than Tsukimi.

If you think Tsukimi is not attractive, wait till you see her housemates. They are downright fugly. They called themselves Nunz. So befitting of the virgin state of living. Oh but among them, there is a mangaka who does BL manga. If I am not interested before, I sure am now ^^

And what makes me even more interested is the fact that Tsukimi met a cross dresser. He looks way hotter than any of the females in this show and happened to crash in Tsukimi's room. Of course Tsukimi doesn't know that he is actually a guy so just think what will happen when a nun suddenly woke up with a guy besides her bed. Oh boy and he looks so delicious!


Btw, what is a hipster?

I really love both the OP and the ED just from the fact that they are from Chatmonchy and Sambomaster respectively. These two names are familiar to me thanks to Bleach and Gintama and I love all their songs. This is no exception. However, I dunno any of the seiyuu, or rather I have never give a damn about them before but Mitsuki Saiga definitely caught my intention now.

I think the character designs fit perfectly with the character's personality but it is kind of degrading and slightly discriminating for a real life tard. I mean, its like they are saying that otakus are usually fugly. That is so far from the truth. I know some of the most good looking tards in my life.

I have no complain for the overall art and animation. Brains Base has delivered the goods. I think they have reached my expectation for the show. For entertainment value, it is pretty high in my book. I mean, now I wish the rest of the episodes are out so I can watch them all today. In other words, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

story 8/10
art & animation 8/10
character 8/10
sound 9/10
enjoyment 9/10
overall 8.5/10

14 comments:

"Hipster" is gg trolling as usual (which is why I wish another group would pick this up...). The Japanese just refers to fashionable/trendy people.

Hipster is a little weird because it means "someone who is hip to the scene". But people haven't talked that way since the passing of the Beat Generation, which was at its peak in the 1950s.

"Hipsters" is generally used as a more derogatory term for trendy, hip people. I don't think I've ever heard it used in a flattering way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29#1990s_and_2000s

I much prefer the manga's translation of "fashionable people". Its easier to understand and less likely to be dated. Plus, none of the people in the anime/manga described as "hipsters" actually look like one. Kuranosuke looks more like a chic supermodel than anything else.

Yeah, I thought the saying was pretty outdated. And it is true that Kuranosuke and that other guy at the aquarium shop don't look like a trendy/fashionable people. Like morri said, Kuranosuke just looks like a supermodel chic and that dude looks like a bum to me.

Also, I don't get the mentality of these otaku in the anime. I mean, I am sure they don't like people to judge them based on their freak level but they are doing the same with other people. Judging a person by the way he or she dress is kinda low, imo.

Kuranosuke looks pretty fashionable (at least when he's dressed like a woman), but the aquarium shop guy just looks like your typical 20-something dude with a halfway decent fashion sense. Neither look like hipsters, though.

I can understand the mentality. It isn't exactly "judging a book by its cover", but they're definitely intimidated by attractive/fashionable people. I think that fashionable people make the otaku much more aware of their own awkwardness, unfashionableness and, well, unattractiveness.

Hmm, intimidated might be the right word but they are definitely exaggerated their reaction.

When will episode 2 coming out anyway? >_<

This is really fun episode.
But I wonder if he's really straight like he said?

I think he is just because I want to see some romance sparks between him and Tsukimi.

Apparently, Episode 2 doesn't air in Japan until the 28th. So we still have a few days to wait, assuming GG is prompt with their sub.

Urgh why the delay? >_<

What's keeping me from wanting to watch this is the ugly characters... I've been too spoiled by good looking people in anime.

You have been spoiled by all those yuri manga/anime. If this is a show with bunch of ugly boys, I would probably ditch it too because thanks to yaoi, I have certain standards for male characters to be acceptable :P

How odd. I actually find it easier to read manga with ugly characters (but not ugly ART), because I'm not so distracted by the characters' looks and I can take the story more seriously.

That's probably why I read so much seinen manga.

Part of the joy watching/reading anime/manga is the fact that they are usually bishoujo and bishounen. I like my characters to be pretty and such for my own selfish reasons :)

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...