26 February 2010

Two Walnuts

Let's be honest. I lol'd when I read the English titled of Futatsu no Kurumi but that's because I am a pervert and can only think of one kind of twin nuts. (Un)fortunately this Special episode has nothing to do with 'em balls.


This 46 minutes episode is produced by TV Asahi and Shin-Ei Animation and was released during the 2007 summer. It tells the story of Ayaka who travels back in time to the bombing in the 1940's. Appropriately so after she made fun of her grandma. She learns the way of the old and be more appreciative in the future. It is pretty heart wrenching at times, what she experienced during the war. It was all too fucking real...

The direction could be better. Tetsuo Yasumi I think was influenced by his former directing works such as Manmaru the Ninja Penguin (lolwut?) and Minetaro Hirai with Shin chan. Although the story was pretty good, it is not something that we have not seen before. I think they are trying too much to immitate Grave of the Fireflies, which by the way, is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I can't say that I like the character design but it was to be expected from Junichi Seki I guess. Props for Shinji Kawaai though. I really likes the details on the background. If only Masae Otake can do a better job at blending these two together...


I only know Eri Kitamura as the seiyuu of this episode. Her resume is pretty impressive with the latest being Kureha from So.Ra.No.Wo.To. I think she did a good job playing the kid with emotional burden. The same for the other seiyuus. Job well done. Sometimes I feel like Sokuichi steals the show ^_^


As for the music... no OP just ED and appropriately oldskool. Not my taste though. The BGM can be improved to further enrich the content of the episode.

Right that's about it.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Why Two Walnuts? Apparently one of the kid that Ayaka met in 1940's (Tomoko) has a father who works a a carpenter. Before he was drafted, he carved 2 bells out of walnut. Tomoko gives one of the walnuts to Ayaka for safe keeping.

Art 6/10
Story 7/10
Character 7/10
Sound 6/10
Enjoyment 6/10
Overall 6/10

3 comments:

i was expecting something else from the title also lol think ill pass on this one, very different art style though. like the huge contrast between the character and background might be done on purpose so it makes them stand out.

You kinda get used to the art by the time it's over though

Interesting... The art is a bit different. Anyway, it does remind of Grave of the Fireflies.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...