26 April 2007

The Creature in the Case

TcitcI finished reading this book last month, a day after I finished reading This End of the Rainbow but was too damn busy with lots of things that only now did I managed to spend some time reviewing this book.

The reason I picked this book instead of the Ragwitch from the shelves was simply because it is the story of Nicholas. Remember him? Yup, he is the same Nicholas from Lirael and Abhorsen who was possessed by the evil Orannis. The same guy that I'd fallen in love with. Hehe...

I said in Abhorsen's review that I think Garth Nix, the author, has more tricks up his sleeves and this book is part of it. The other is Across the Wall, which is something I put my eyes on but haven't had the chance to found it in any of the bookstores I usually go to.

The creature in the case told the story of Nicholas who was eager to go back to the Old Kingdom approximately six month ofter the event in Abhorsen. He couldn't put the eccentric country (and Lireal) out of his mind and desperate to return to the Old Kingdom. He had been pastering his Uncle Edward, the Chief Minister of Ancelstierre, about his intention. His uncle promised him the journey to the Old Kingdom but in return Nicholas has to do him a favor. He need to spend one weekend at a remote country house.

And so the adventure begins. Apparently the party that he was made to attend to was only a facade to cover up for the secret operation that was to bring back a relic creature from the Old Kingdom to live. To unleash it power it needs Nicholas blood (there is an irony about what happened if the creature drank too much of Nicholas blood but I am not going to spoil it).

Nicholas had to fight the creature and stop it from crossing the wall. The only help that came from across the wall is Lirael.

The creature in the case is a short story that really kept reader interested in finding out what happen next after the trilogy. A little warning though that the end of this story will leave you on the edge. Although at first I was hoping that this book will quenched my thirst for the Abhorsen trilogy, the book was actually keep me wanting for more (unfortunately there are none). Also if you were hoping to see the familiar faces, don't. You are going to be disappointed.

Jeez, I miss Sameth!!


1 comments:

i have read all of the old kingdom series and have been hoping for another

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...