08 June 2012

First Impression: Saint Seiya Omega

I am unsure about this one. I know I am not a fan of this genre of anime in general but I thought I should give it a chance, like I did with any other anime of the season. I have a feeling that I would end up dropping this series once I saw the first episode though.

The art and animation of this series are really oldskool and it should not come as a surprise because the series itself (Saint Seiya) has been around for 25 years. This anime is the first TV series since it was first started so I think that fact makes me more acceptable towards it. At the same time, it also has that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan feeling to it in term of exaggeration etc. Fascinating enough, the fanarts are more visually intriguing and much more entertaining/exciting than the anime.



Since I don't read the manga, I have no idea how close it the anime adaptation is to the source but knowing that this is a spin off, I guess Toei Animation has the liberty to be creative with the story. The episode started with the Gold Seiya saving Kouga from the evil when he was still a baby, in the arms of Athena, his guardian. Ever since then, he has been training to become a Seiya himself and help save his planet from the evil power. Of course he has his comrades to help him out.

I can't relate to any of the characters which is probably why I ended up failing to enjoy this episode. Though they are all the heroic type, they lack something human in my opinion. This make sense since they are Martians and logically aren't exactly human. But still... it's has the negative effect on me personally.

As for the seiyuus and the OP/ED, they aren't anything bad about them but there aren't outstanding either. In other words, they are average at best. I guess it was to be expected of a shounen shows nowadays... sadly so.

Like I said earlier, I did not manage to enjoy this show just like I expected. Consequently, there won't be a second chance for Saint Seiya Omega for me. I'm dropping this.

art & animation 5/10
story 5/10
characters 5/10
sound 5/10
enjoyment 5/10
overall 5/10




4 comments:

Omg I love Saint Seiya, but omega isn't as great. It's not the same D: I don't remember Saints being that weak >.<

The bishies are pretty cute though :P

i am not a fan of the art so I cant really see them as being bishie or cute >_>

i checked out the first episode too, some time after watching Nakagawa Shoko's mini concert in Hari Belia. She sang the OP and it got me hooked, but seems like the live version is twice better than the anime version.

my first impression is: if i were a kid i'd probably enjoy this anime more. Moreover I didn't watch the earlier series so I shouldn't bother with this.

It is just too over the top for the mature me. Like you said, it is tailored for kids so I guess an old lady like me won't appreciate this show like a kid would.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...