27 July 2011

First Impression: Mawaru Penguindrum

My bad really. I said in my preview that this show is not getting subs. Who am I kidding right? EVERYTHING GETS SUBS NOWADAYS especially a show that has the same director as Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Bass couldn't stop praising this show and though it's late I know I just have to check it out.

(c) Bass

I gotta say that I love the opening scene of this show when it talks about fate. I don't necessarily hate the word but just like it said, it makes the world an unfair and cruel place to live in. It makes us question why the fuck are we born if all we do is already set in stone way before we even take the first breath of air. It's calling us to fight that fate and strive to make ourselves a victor. I'm liking this show already.

I have no fucking clue what this show is all about. I want it to surprise me with everything that it got, and surprised I am. I immediately like all three protagonists, maybe not so much on Himari but yeah I warm up to them real quick. That in itself is quite a feat since I'm a character driven person so whether or not I end up liking or hating an anime is depends mostly on the characters. Good news indeed.

Shoma, Himari and Kanba are three siblings who aren't exactly born on silver platter. They live in a rundown house with no parents. What's worse is the fact that Himari is very sick and predicted to live just for a few months more. Obviously the news devastated the brothers (it's borderline incest if you asked me) so they tend to indulge Himari with whatever she wants. One day, she wants to see the penguin and off they go to the aquarium. She collapse and that's the last time she's with them.

Or so the show wants us to believe. I got a feeling that we haven't seen the last of Himari and I was correct.

At the aquarium, there were three strange penguins hiding in a dustbin as Shoma and Himari walked by. They aren't your ordinary penguins either. Also, Shoma bought a penguin hat for Himari and when she's wearing that, she's something else. They boys don't care about the details when Himari woke up from the dead. They are just too happy knowing that their sister is still alive. She is cured and declared stable. It sure is a miracle to these two boys who don't believe in God and hated fate.

They receive a parcel containing three frozen penguins. The same penguins that I mentioned before. One of them follows Shoma around, helping him out and it turns out unexpectedly funny. Shoma is the only person who can sees it so naturally he freaks out. Kanba and Himari are more composed though.

Or so I thought. When Himari gets possessed by the hat, I don't know what the fuck is going on anymore. Let just called her 'The Hat' (edit: I learned her name is Princess of Crystal when I searched for the fanarts) when she is possessed, shall we? She told the boys that she's extending the life of their sister for a price. They have to help her find the Penguin Drum in return. Then she gets naked and get Kanda naked too before she... grabs the heart of Kanda? Like I said, what the fuck is going on?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS INCEST?!

Though I picked up the various hints as the episode progress, I didn't fucking expect this! My brain ceases to function so I can't really form any thoughts regarding this at the moment. I know I oppose of it though. Fuck! Why can't they have Kanda/Shoma instead? XD

asked and you shall received! :3
(c) pixiv ID 1608647

Credits to Terumi Nishii for upgrading the already great character designs by Lily Hoshino. It is definitely one of the best things about this show. The other thing that strike me the most about this show is how vibrant everything is despite the condition. With a little splotch of colors here and there, it stirs this whole new set of feelings. It's unique, it's playful and it's bold. Not to mention how they woven the flashback scenes so smoothly without disrupting the present. A good director makes all the difference I guess. Kudos.

Oh well, I get what I asked for. I couldn't be more happier. Thank you Bass for influencing me so :)

arts and animation 10/10
story 9/10
characters 9/10
sounds 9/10
enjoyment 10/10
overall 9/10

6 comments:

Hey, shouma x kanba would be incest too!!!

i think you will enjoy this show :)

I know precisely that Shoma and Kanda would be incestship and fully APPROVED of it XD

I'm loving this show. It looks great. It makes big pronouncements on things like "Destiny". It has interesting characters. Plus, I can't figure out what is going to happen next. ALL GOOD.

plus, the penguin are too damn cute! uguuu~

It's a super wonderful anime, isn't it? So stylish. So gorgeous. So awesome! I love it. ^ ^

Yep, except for the incest thingy...

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...