20 April 2011

First Impression: Sket Dance

At first, the only reason I was remotely interested with Sket Dance is because Keiichiro Kawaguchi is directing it, the same director that did Zettai Karen Children which I am a fan of. I still have my doubt though. Then I learned about the cast. The crossover makes a lot of sense all of a sudden.

http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=879083

They hire Tomokazu Sugita as one of the main seiyuu. That's decided it for me. I'm gonna watch this shit (If it wasn't for my outrageous working scheduled, I would have done the Sugita Quest like Glo does his Rie Quest. That's how big of a fan I am). Did you see how I choose my anime now? =3

Academy Activity Support Club or Sket-dan for short is just like Gintoki's Yorozuya. In fact Sket Dance is more or less Gintama in modern days. There are Himeko, Kagura double, Switch as Gintoki double and Bossun who supposedly to be the leader. They do odd stuff in that little club of theirs, solving mysteries and so on.

There are still few characters that haven't been introduced yet so that adds to the reason why I need to continue watching Sket Dance.

fappable character like this one
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=879083

Though the jokes were a tad slapstick at time, they were able to make me chuckled. Mind you, it's not out right laugh out loud kind of thing. I have a feeling if this show is done by a much more experience production studio, it could turn out so much better. Or maybe I'm just being harsh towards Tatsunoko Productions for not hiring a strong capable writer than can do randomness like that of Gintama. I said this because it falls a little flat for me and it is kinda cliche.

The animation is nothing to boast about but I should give credits when it is due. They took it up a notch when it comes to the fighting and there are some slick moves going on. If only the effort is continuous throughout the episode. Then again it is all comes down to the budget. Having said that, the casts are pretty impressive and I am glad that they spend their money hiring the right people for the characters. Sugita is awesome as always.

Well, this show doesn't blew me away but for obvious reason I am going to keep watching this.

arts & animation 7/10
story 7/10
characters 8/10
sound 8/10
enjoyment 7/10
overall 7/10

2 comments:

You know that Sket Dance is based off a JUMP manga right? So all this content is actually derived from the manga itself, and not from a Tatsunoko writer.

The manga itself is pretty good, since it is consistently ranked very high in JUMP's TOC rankings. I even made a recommendation post for the manga earlier in the year - http://sekijitsu.com/2011/01/04/recommendation-sket-dance/

Its actually one of my fav ongoing gag manga, cos it gets really good and funny with its characters and jokes.

Either way, good to see that you liked the first ep. You should continue on with the second, since I found that to be much more funnier than the first

oh yeah, i knew about the manga thanks to you actually but haven't got the chance to actually pick it up. Not with the time constrain i have now. How did I forgot about it? *facepalm*

I have seen the second episode and though it doesn't get better for me, it doesn't get any worse either. This is nothing compared to Gintama but it has it moments.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...