20 September 2010

Why do I go crazy for anime?

Have you seen Disappearance yet? It was fucking AWESOME!!
(c) mcr

Isn't anime just another form of cartoon? Instead of made by the Americans, they are made by the Japanese. Whats the difference? What makes anime so special?

What most people don't understand is, like any other hobbies or interest, once you are "into" it, you will understand the depth that goes with it.

Becoming a fan of anime goes deeper than just enjoying the "cartoons". It becomes part of your lifestyle. You can feel the addiction for it running through you veins. You can't wait to get home from the office just so you get to watch the latest episode of Bleach, even though you already know it will sucks ball.

I dunno about anyone else, but it kinda give me a purpose. I feel fulfilled. You might laugh at that statement and called me shallow or someone who doesn't have a fucking life. Well, maybe you're right but you know what? I don't give a rat ass? At least I'm doing what I want and that makes me happy.

Kyon makes me very happy indeed ^_^
(c) sato unta

It invokes all these feelings that I usually stored and locked away when dealing with real life. The last time I cried, it was because of a manga. And before that it was because of the anime. I cried when Kyon almost got killed by Yuki. I cursed when Kubo fucked up Bleach, I laughed my ass off watching Gintoki and I got excited at the thought that we are going to have a second season of Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu and Working!! soon. Real life events don't move me as much as anime/manga did. In fact I usually found myself got so freaking bored dealing with every day life. If you really know me in real life, you would probably question whether or not I have a heart. You'll either think that I am a heartless bitch or that I just don't care about anything at all. I'm not even kidding about this. See my face? I'm dead serious at the moment ^w^

The truth is, in real life, I'm the coolest bitch you'll ever met. I don't take offense easily. You can say shit to my face and I would probably just laughed with you. Sure I have a temper but I usually save that one up for my writings. When I'm upset I usually bottled it all inside. I know it's unhealthy. That's why I think anime/manga save my life. I only allowed myself to be completely loose and vulnerable when I watch/read anime/manga. That is why I think they play such a big part in my life. Otherwise, I would probably spend thousands of dollars for therapy or worst, wearing the straight jacket.

Normal people don't understand this. I don't expect them to be. None of my friends (the real life ones) watch anime or have any understanding about my "hobby". They think that I'm too old for all of these. Instead of wasting my time with anime, manga and figurines, they think that I should have get married, have kids and basically grow the fuck up. Too bad that I am not a typical person or I would have succumb to the pressure. I'm turning 30 next year and so far although I'm in a relationship, I don't think we are going to hear wedding bells anytime soon. What's the rush? There is still so much that I want to have/achieve. Besides, being married does not mean that you'll end up happy. I have so many examples that I can choose from but why bother. You can find the statistic on the net.

I'll get marry tomorrow if I can find myself a Kyon =3
(c) ia

So back to anime, what is so special about the Japanese made "cartoons" that made me an addict? First, lemme say that I have a fascination with Japan. If you don't read Malaysian history, lemme educate you. The Japanese had at one time (during the World War II) invaded us so I kinda learned about them ever since they taught us about them in history class. Just like my fascination with Hitler and the Ku Klux Klan, I was captivated. Till date Germany and Japan are probably the two countries I want to visit the most with Switzerland in third place. But lets not get side track. The fact that these anime was made by the Japanese are enough to keep me interested.

Second, the language. It just another different feelings when I get to to watch an anime that doesn't speak English or Malay. It gives this foreign and cool vibes to it. That is why I ignore anything that is dubbed. I feel like the anime has lost its originality and virginity when it gets the dubbed treatment. Maybe this feeling was stemmed so early in my childhood after watching all those Malay dubbed Doraemon anime *shudders*. But yeah, the language is cool as fuck. I want to learn Japanese and Dutch before I die. Maybe I could marry someone who is fluent at it :P

Third, the presentation. It feels like watching a real life drama gets animated. Cartoons are usually targeted for children but I feel like anime have totally different audience. Sure they are still few of the anime that are child-oriented but most of them are made for adults. It just made anime more relevant to a person like me. That is why I was able to pour my heart and soul into it. Not to mention that they have all these range of genres. You just have to pick your favorite and enjoy it to your heart's content.

Fourth: the fact that thanks to anime, I got to meet the coolest people on earth whether through facebook or my blog. I think I am able to stay this passionate about anime is because I have someone that I spazz and be a nerd with. At last I found someone else who gets me, who share the same interest and opinion about some of the anime. We might have different taste but when it comes to passion, we are all equal. Thanks to these people, my life is less lonely.

Reason number five: I think I know myself better thanks to anime. I kinda surprised myself with all these new discoveries about what I like and don't like. For example, who would have thought that I will be obsessed with yaoi? Okay scratch that, everyone probably see that one coming. But yeah, anime kinda teach me a lot of things about myself. It let me explore feelings and thoughts that I normally won't even bother to acknowledge. Sometimes it was so contrary to real life that I found it so damn funny how irony it all were.

an obligatory picture for a BL fan like me XD
(c) hagiri

Last but not least, anime serves as an escapism for me. I am a Pisces so it was second nature to me to escape from real life and just imagine whatever the fuck I want. I write a lot but it wasn't enough. This is where anime comes in handy. I let myself get lost in whatever episode I'm watching. It feels cool as fuck. I can pick out any dream I want and be part of it. Awesome. It has become my endless source of amusement and inspiration.

(c) iwashi

So yeah, tl;dr. I am just in a mood to write something. This by no means a measuring stick. It is just how I feel about anime. If you can relate to it, then I'm glad to know you. If you don't, I hope one day you'll get it.

End note: Go watch the Disappearance movie. I'm gonna see it for the fifth time after I posted this.

24 comments:

Is the Disappearance finally subbed in non-bootleg quality!?!?!?!?!? I've been waiting for ages!!!

I'm the same way about anime - it gives me more fulfillment than anything even though I often feel awkward around people who don't understand it. Actually, I don't think I've read a post like this where someone lays out the exact reasons for why they personally like anime. That's a good idea...

And also, I saw Disappearance during its premieres in San Francisco and LA. Can't wait till it comes out on DVD!

I myself is addicted to anime.

Well it is because there are somethings that you want to do but you can't.

Sometimes we got bored on our life and feel that it's just a routine so we tend to watch anime that suits are dreams.

"Third, the presentation. It feels like watching a real life drama gets animated." Funny you say that because for me the vice versa is true for why I like tokusatsu. You should really try watching some. It's great.
And yes, if it weren't for Bleach, we would never have known each other...and Surovi but that's different.

Anime tells a damn good story. That's what it's all about to me. As you said, it's more interesting than anything in real life.

I have to say you are very touch to your feeling if you have not notice. Write more! :)

A) There's going to be a second season of Working!!? REALLY? My freaking gosh, YES! And I thought I was the only person remotely interested in another season...

B) I'm turning 30 next year, too! I think that you and I and a few others are walking new ground. A decade or two from now, 30-something anime fans will be quite common. We're pioneers as it were. :P

No Glo. It is still the bootleg version but I don't care as long as I got to see Kyon and Haruhi. Btw, did you know that the BlueRay DVD for Haruhi will be out in December and it will cost a fucking MYR300. Seriously WTF with that number? The usual BlueRay DVD only cost like MYR99 =\

I don't feel awkward at all around the dickheads, Yumeka. It is usually the other way around. It's their fault. Why ask about anime when you know I won't be able to stop once I started. Disappearance is awesome. It is probably my favorite anime movie atm. I have to save up to buy the DVD because the price is fucking ridiculous >_>

Everyone in here are addicted to anime Donmck for many different reasons. I have stated mine.

If it weren't for Bleach, I wouldn't know alot of people and this blog won't be about anime. Bleach is the reason why I got addicted in the first place. Oh yeah, Surovi. I miss that gal. I miss Jackson too =(

Some of the story might be repeated or cliche as fuck but we still love it for all it's worth. If we don't we just stop watching. Heh, isn't that right Baka-Raptor, Sir?

LEon, I know that my feelings are usually come across when I'm writing. That's why I tend not to write when I'm pissed off (lies). I wish I can be this expressive in real life. My friends have a saying that when I step outside of my room/house, I stored my heart away in the refrigerator XD

Hello, benearththetangles. Haven't seen you before. But yeah A) We aren't the only people who wants a second season of Working!! I know a bunch of people who desired the same thing. B) Now that I think of it, you are making sense. We are the pioneers indeed. That just made me feel so much better of getting old x_x

according to the conversion I just did, MYR300 is equal to almost 100 US Dollars.....that's half of an Xbox 360, which leads me to believe that I messed something up, or your country has serious money issues.

It don't usually cost that much. That;s like triple of what it usually cost for a Blueray DVD. I dunno what happened either

you can learn everything through anime, love how passionate you are about it ^^ woot season 2 of Working!! i was just rewatching all of season 1 last week :D

i still havent watched Disappearance... this week for sure.

"...the[re] are still few of the anime that are child-oriented but most of them are made for adults."

This is incorrect. As with many other countries that foster an animation industry, a large majority of the cartoons developed and produced in Japan are for kids aged six to twelve. We're often fortunate in that most of the product exported are for slightly older audiences. A number of animated titles in Japan are for adults, yes, but the proportion only seems larger because the number of total productions, and the size of local merchandising efforts are larger, as well.

and I hope my passion will continue for a very long time. Make sure you tell me what you think of the Disappearance once you have seen it, rockleelotus!

Mr Anon, I look at the charts and I see adults oriented anime dominated it. But you're maybe right. I don't live in Japan after all so there is no way I know for sure :)

You're so fucking right .. I'm only fifteen but all I think about at school is how to get home as fast as possible and watch some new episode from favourite anime .. I'm also obsessed with Yaoi *nosebleed* .. my friends say that I'm perverted only because I like Boys love but they just don't know what they're missing

http://living-in-different-world.tumblr.com/ --> Here's my blog on Tumblr ..
http://twitter.com/Anity_95 --> And here's my twitter .. If you want you can contact me ;]]

Three, five, and six resonate with me the most. I love the way anime is presented. The story, the animation, the characters, the stories, even the surrounding franchise all have their own distinct presentation that really sing. The escapism and the reflection of self also make me love anime.

Great post. ^ ^

The only reason why I'm so obsessed with yaoi is because they are so damn gorgeous and they are not real people. Normal people would probably look at you like a pervert just because they are thinking of two human male making out and having buttsex XD

In the past 10 years or so, you can't actually distinguished one anime over the other because they pretty much have the same character design. Anime has come a long way since then and now we have all sorts of designs and animation style that made them anime unique and distinct. It also created a more diverse fanbase as a consequence such as the elitists. And thank you, Yi, for the compliment ^_^

I have to agree with everything you said. I love watching it and it is much better than any "cartoon" made in the US.

It pumps me up and gets my blood moving (depending on the Anime). It is a way to escape into another world and the music is great too.

I was lucky to meet my wife who enjoys it as well as my son who's collection of DVD's has more Anime that anything else.

Great post and brilliant writing!

I need to find a husband who enjoys it too then. If he doesn't, then I'm gonna make sure that my children will only watch anime and nothing else XD

And thank you for the compliment. As a writer that means a lot. Lately I feel less of a writer because of my work :<

Dude, you're so effin rite :)

Dude, I effing know :)

awwww i love you just because you wrote this , i'm so glad that there's someone who he truly understand me :) i agree with every word you said

i don't know you but who cares I LOVE YOU TOO! :D

me and my lil sister and also my sister law loves anime, we watch every night, I download in the morning and we watch it in the evening...its just like our daily routine..

anime help me make money too..my friends ask me to DL this and that anime and then they pay me cold cash but it depends on the quility XD

can you make your own anime list?like what anime you completed,watching,on-hold,dropped and plant to watch..something like that?!XD

btw just keep writing ma'am..your anime reviews are awesome..

Well, if you look carefully at the top there, you can find all the list that you have mentioned, which reminds me that I need to update the pending list because it's growing with every season

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...