11 July 2010

First Impression: Occult Academy


Oh, another show from A1-Pictures? Heh, I know I'm going to like this just because of that. The first minute of the show was intriguing enough to make me nods in approval. This is another show that I look forward to this summer just because the story promised something different.

The academy is linked with demon, spirits and other dark stuff that it got the nick name of Occult Academy. On the day Maya returned to the academy, it was to attend his father's funeral and take the responsibility as the new principal of the academy. She wants to destroy the academy and has her own reason for that. At the end of the episode, she met with a naked guy who literally fell down from the sky (rather gracefully I might add) and so the adventure begins!

Hehe just like the synopsis from chartfag says, this show is a combination of horror and comedy. The transition was done seamlessly and effortlessly making it so entertaining. For example, at one point Kozue was devoured by the evil spirit and in the next second she was chanting "megane megane" in a really retarded you-can't-help-but-laugh situation. Not to forget the flashback of Maya doing some scary stuff that I couldn't help but find funny and adorable at the same time. The dialog/script was pretty casual and honest too. It is definitely one of this show strongest point in my opinion. At one point Maya even used Porco Rosso as reference and I think that was awesome and totally honest. I would called someone Porco Rosso too if he/she fits the description XD

I also particularly like the character designs. It is something fresh and the movements are all very fluid. Even though they all look normal but they have this certain quirks that makes them likable, This means that I like the arts and animation. You don't see these kinds of animation too often. I dunno. I'm just getting a really good vibe is all and may be biased because this is developed by A1-Pictures.

The OP and ED will grow on you though have you seen the ED? Something different again. Like! As for the seiyuus, I am not familiar with any of them but they are really in their niches with this one. Kudos.

I really do enjoy this one and just like Highschool of the Dead, I couldn't wait for the next episode. This is going to be the fourth series that I'm following this summer which mean this season is decent so far. And to be honest, I am enjoying this one more than the other anime at the moment.

art & animation 10/10
story 10/10
characters 10/10
sound 8/10
enjoyment 10/10
overall 9/10

7 comments:

I still haven't seen this (but I really have looked forward to it too), but I did manage to watch the first episode of HOTD and immediately busted all over my walls from shear happiness of finding such an awesome anime.

*nods*
Highschool of the Dead made me glad that I am such a tard for anime

I intended to watch only dark shows this season and Occult Academy fits well into that, along with high school of the dead.

I should probably do the same thing since I barely have time for anything else nowadays :(

I'm kind of excited for this. The girl is cute. The show is dark. And it's about the occult. What's not to love?

the character designs are awesome. Every character, even the one in the background, looks different. This give them personality.

And yes, what's not to love about occult, even more so when it has a comedy in it

This show kicks ass. So far it's in my top 3 for this season along with HOTD and Shiki.

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...