28 December 2009

Kara no Kyoukai 1: Fukan Fuukei


I was in a mood for review as I re-watched all seven movies of Kara no Kyoukai hence why this periodic post dedicated to the movie is up (I abandoned my Pandora Hearts marathon for this although in reality I was just looking for an excuse).

Kara no Kyoukai: Fukan Fuukei (Borderline of Emptiness: Overlooking View) is the first movie of this series. This is the movie that started my addiction to Kara no Kyoukai and makes me gay for Shiki and wants to marry Mikiya but you guys don't want to know that.

I remember that I have to download the movie more than 3 times. It was my first experience with *.mkv file and it was such a headache thinking where the fuck did the subtitle disappear to? I was such an inexperience n00b back then -_-"


Fukan Fuukei is about a bunch of girls who seemingly committed suicide by jumping of from an Fujyou Building without leaving any suicide note. In truth, they were all control by a single entity.

I didn't realize this before (what the hell, how can I missed it) but it kind of obvious from the get go that Shiki has feelings for Mikiya. Maybe when I first watched it, it did not occurred to me that this movie might have romance theme in it because I can only see (and in awe) with the bloodfest and the horror. We can read from Shiki's attitude when Mikiya was "out". She was obviously annoyed and irritated and was extremely worried about him.

wake up Mikiya!

She made the connection between Mikiya's condition and the suicides even when Touko said it wasn't related. Mikiya would be the 8th victims if Shiki did nothing to stop it. She even cut her own artifical arm in order to save him without giving it a second thought

Despite Touko's warning, Mikiya went to the Fojyou Building to investigate the suicide cases. The ghost (who was controlled by a girl at the hospital, the evil entity I was referring to) at that cursed place has Mikiya's soul with her and Mikiya's body ended up to be an empty vessel unless Shiki can do something about it. And that she will because she's very possessive and pretty much tell us that Mikiya belongs to her and her alone (again, how the fuck did I miss this blatant confession? O_0)

I am so glad that I re-watched this movie. I forgot about Touko telling Shiki how Mikiya ended up working for her. It was a romantic story of how he keep staring at one particular doll as Touko interviewed him.

The doll sitting there is Mikiya's favorite. Care to take a guess why? @_@

At the beginning of the movie, Shiki said that she doesn't like ice-cream and kinda make you wonder why Mikiya still bought the strawberry (because it reminds him of her (jacket)) ice-cream for her. This is why:

She ate the ice-cream. She hates it but she still consumed it. Guess who is missing Mikiya >3

Remember I mentioned about the evil entity? She had a crush on Mikiya when she saw him every week as he visited Shiki when she was in a coma. But of course I didn't knew this the first time around so it didn't registered. Now that I've seen all seven of the movies, it made perfect sense. The girl ended up killing herself which made her the 8th victims thus returning Mikiya's soul to its rightful owner.

The last few words exchanged between Mikiya and Shiki made me smile. I love the metaphors that Mikiya's used of explaining his "dream". That is so like him and damn he is so smooth. I would blush too if I was Shiki *giggles*

Oh yeah before I forgot. For those who were clueless as to why Shiki has the "eyes", well it allows her to see the points of death on her enemies so she could just stab them as what her eyes see.

The famous eyes

the points of death that I was talking about

The art is one of the thing that stands out the most. It is definitely one of the reason why I am so into this series. The details are incredible, they took everything into consideration. You can see this during the fights and at the surrounding backgrounds. To enhance the experience, they inserted sounds effect that would totally made you so into this movie and invoke your emotions.

I love the character designs too. For example, Mikiya is not really a bishounen nor does Shiki a bishoujo but their characters and personalities what made them real and so damn likeable. I guess part of the kudos have to be given to the seiyuus as well.

What a delectable movie this is.



art 10/10
sound 10/10
story 10/10
characters 10/10
enjoyment 10/10
overall 10/10

3 comments:

well deserved perfect score! lol i remember the first time i watched part 1 i didnt really get what was going on ^^; and it took me two tries to get through it because i found the beginning to be slow paced. now i wanna rewatch it to pick up on all the little details i missed out on or didnt understand before :D

love Shiki :3

yeah, I decided to re-watch the whole series because I don't want to miss anything when I watch the last one. Oh boy I am glad that I did it ^^

Ah man. I was blown away when i saw the first movie. Goodness, It was fucking AMAZING.

I'll be watching the rest soon enough

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...