28 March 2006

The Testament

I finished reading this book last month, before my trip to Sepang International Circuit for the 2006 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix.

I had been so busy that it took me this long to review the books.

Before I start with the reviewing, I should make myself clear that I am not really a big fan of John Grisham. I have nothing against him but there are times when I had had enough reading about lawyer, courtrooms and judges.

Personally I don't think this is the best book from John Grisham. I've read better ones like The Rainmaker, The Runaway Jury, The Pelican Brief and The Firm. But do not let me discourage you from reading this book.

The Testament is about a multibillionaire man named Troy Phelan who was an eccentric old man, and hate his six children. Each of them will not have your sympathy and makes you understand why Troy did what he did. He tricked his three ex-wives, his greedy spawn, their sleezy lawyers and psychiatrists into believing that he will devide his 11 billions dollars estate and left it for their disposal. He then shocked everyone, including his lawyer Josh, when he commited suicide minutes after he signed a new will he prepared himself. In this new testament, he left his estate not to his six grasping spolied children but instead to his legitimate child name Rachel, who is a missionary somewhere in Brazil.

To locate her, Josh send Nate O'Riley - a washed up alcoholic ligitator. Nate went to Brazil in search of this mysterious heir. After one near-death trip and one failed suicidal attempt, Nate reached a remoted settlement in the Pantanal and found what he's looking for.

Rachel Lane is a pure-hearted missionary carrying 'God's work'. She makes it clear that she is not interested with the money and wants nothing to do with it. Her dedication and kindness impresses Nate. He has not only found Rachel but was also introduce to God so much so that when he came with dengue fever, it leds him to a vision that pretty much change his life.

Back at home, Troy's written will had start a whole new procession in court. His hungry descendents decided to contested the will and gain control of the richness which they think supposed to be theirs. They left the matters to their lawyers who are as greedy as them and they are ready to do anything to get the money.

Failed to changed Rachel's mind about the money, Nate went back home and was appointed as her lawyer by Josh to deceived her six siblings. The proceeding went as plan. Josh and Nate expertly manipulate the outcome made it so that the six children and their lawyers have no choice but to settle out of court for some sum of small money (compared to the billion dollars).

Nate went back to the Pantanal to give Rachel the news but he didn't found her. Instead he discover grave news about the friend that he had come to love and cherish.

I wouldn't want to spoil the book and gave out everything. To know what happen to Rachel, you just have to read the book yourself.

I for one wish Grisham had choose a different ending as it was so anti-climax, I felt cheated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...