11 September 2009

Night of Power

The last 10 nights in the month of Ramadhan are usually known as Malam 7 Likur. During the days of our parents, they lighted oil lights (we Malay call it colok or pelita) to commemorate these nights. However since we do not live in kampung anymore, we opted the cleaner and safer methods: candles.

The significant of lighting the candles/pelita, besides marking that the EID is around the corner, is also to celebrate the anniversary of the night the first verses of the Quran were revealed to our prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) which is said to be on the 27th of Ramadhan. This night also known as Laylat al-Qadr or Night of Power.

You know that the party mood is about to hit you hard on the face when you start seeing all these lights around your neighborhood. You can really feel the festive vibes/moods for the upcoming EID.

As I was about to light the candles, Haruhi decides to help me out. Of course, I let her because god knows she must have what she wants or doom to us all.

In my family, we put the candle in a see-through glass so that the wind wouldn't blow the light off.

Haruhi help with the glasses. We put water in it so that the candle will be able to float

Then we start lighting the candle. As you can see, Haruhi is barely able to contain her excitement. She was about to walk across fire if I had not stopped her!

Time to put the candle in the glasses. After all are lighted, we place the glasses around our house.

She quickly jumps to get a closer look. I have to stop her from going head first into the glasses.

Haruhi starts to get uber excited

close up on her uber excited face

She came too close to the light and couldn't stand the heat. That's when she tell me she had had enough. I think she might have burn her finger a little.

That concludes her adventure for the day. She is learning a new culture and besides her burned finger, she is having a blast.

4 comments:

7 Likur is the same as Malam Lailatul Qadar ?
hmm i dunno this one XD

"____" there's no moar pelita near my house area nemore

p/s U haz nice camera
me plan to buy one u _ u

this is taken using D40 not 50D. I just love my Nikon MOAR ^^"

and yes 7 likur is also known as malam lailatul qadar

cute & lovely, I hope she helps out this time as well Taichou, just don't fuck with her so we can make it to the EID @__@
I wish we had similar traditions, here it's just fake ass lights >__>

btw, Qadar could also mean greatness :)

some use fake lights too but some still use the traditional way. It just not the same with fake lights, right?

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...