13 February 2006

Anugerah


Let start of with Anugerah by Zaharah Nawawi, shall we?

This is the only Malay novel I possed. My dad bought it for my for my 14th birthday. One of my precious gift I must say. This book is my all time favorite.

So where to start eh? The story is about the time before Independence Day. Most of the plot took place in Johor Bahru. Obviously, since it is the story on how and why UMNO was created. How hard Malay people fought for the Independence of Tanah Melayu, until Barisan Nasional was created to unite other races as well, which Dato' Onn disagreed and created a new party called Semangat 46.

The two main characters, Ramlah and Mariam, represent UMNO women who fought hand in hand with the men during Tanah Melayu political turmoil. Both of them carried the picture of strong-will women with heart made out of gold. They went through countless challenges physically and emotionally, when during the time women were seen unfit to involved in social and politic matters. Their involvement even put a strain on their married life but they never back down.

Anugerah makes you understand the event that took place before Tanah Melayu was named Malaysia from a different perspective. It makes you appreciate the Independence, your inheritance and why you should be proud to be Malaysian.

If you can, go and get yourself this book although I must warn you that this book is out of print now so you might find it almost as an impossible task. I have no problem lending it to those who are interested. Just give me a ring and let see if we can work things out.

That's all for this first edition of klux's book club. Till later,

Hobey-Ho!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...